see end...
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
> Is there a set of established standards for visual evaluation of 78 rpm
> discs? I'm working with the owner of a significant collection to catalog
> the discs and ultimately transfer them to digital form. I would like to
> include a preliminary note about the apparent condition of  each disc as
> part of the preliminary catalog.
> Obviously, the ultimate evaluation of each disc requires playing it, but
> as a first step, I want to go with a visual examination.
> So I will welcome your pointers to any kind of commonly accepted terms for
> describing 78s. Thanks in advance.

Well, the "standard" grading system for 78rpm phonorecords was, IIRC,
introduced in "Record Changer" in 1942! This is the "good ol'" E/V/G/F/P
system, still used to-day by most 78 collectors and dealers...!

Also, virtually all dealers grade records visually, since they simply don't
have
the time to play and evaluate a thousand or more 2-sided 78's per list
(1000 records would take about 6,000 minutes...or a hundred hours...!).

Note that there are NO "official" visual definitions of the five grades...
especially once pluses and minuses are included...! But, basically, any
E (even E-) side should show NO visible evidence of groove wear. V
sides do show wear...V+ normally minimal, down to V- which appears
visually well-worn. And...discs in G, F or P condition are just about
worthless, unless they are "only known copies" of rarities!!

Steven C. Barr