I'd typically get about 4 frames logged as errors per hour (not
including the errors that occur when the recording starts and stops,
there is often a little glitch there). This is for the DATs that were
stored well. The advantage with the DDS drive is that the software
(like DATXtract) can log exactly where the errors are, which helps
automate quality control.
The speed of the DAT tape is related to the read / write speed used to
do data backups so it's not related to the speed that DAT players use.
They were separately developed technologies, DDS just happens to have
the faster reads. Also the DAT player will play a 32kHz tape twice as
slow, while a DDS drive doesn't slow down the speed for this playback.
Another advantage of the DDS drive method is that there is the ability
to extract the metadata from the tape, like what time and date the
original recording device was set to. Also you get the marker info on
when each recording starts and stops, which I think aids in cataloguing.
Dave Rice