I must take exception here. Audacity is not freeware it is an Open
Source Project:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

The two are very different things.

Of course Audacity  does not have the same features as Soundforge. It is
however solid and reliable. It will accept VST plugins and can perform
all the basic editing functions necessary for sound capture/audio
transfer. Whilst I would not suggest using Audacity as a tool for audio
restoration, it is a tool that I have recommended and used in training
and working with museum professionals. Used in conjunction with a
quality analogue playback and an audio interface with a good spec, there
is no reason why Audacity should not perform as well as Soundforge,
Adobe Audition, or any other commercial package.

--
Mike Hirst
Managing Director

tel: 0191 289 3186