Greetings!

On most commercial Edison black wax two and four minute and Blue
Amberol recordings you'll see something like this:

PATD . . 14

The two dots after the PATD is the take number and the Arabic number
is the mold number used. In the above example it is take 2 and the
recording comes from the 14th mold. As molds wore out they created a
new one and it was inscribed with the next number in the series.

Best to all,
Dan