OK, I think I get it. There is no good reason for rigidly ordering these elements, we've just run into a limitation of the XML Schema standard.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<cartographics> is defined as xsd:sequence because <scale> and  <projection>
are not repeatable, but <coordinates>  is repeatable.

<all> requires that each element occur zero or one time and would not allow
multiple <coordinates> elements.

<choice maxOccurs="unbounded"> (which MODS uses in cases without such
constraints)  would not constrain <scale> and <projection> to maximum one
occurence.

(Contrast this for example with <subject> ........

<choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
<element name="topic"/>
<element name="geographic"/>
<element name="temporal"/>
<element name="titleInfo"/>

etc.

</choice>

etc.

.....any of these subject categories may occur any number of times,
including zero, and the whole set may occur in any order.)