Cataloging rules can be simplified, but they are complex because reality
is complex.  Core level records contain everything need for quality
cataloging but the question is whether we are talking low or high quality
The lack of notes in core records mean that I cannot always tell whether
the record refers to what I have in hand.  People lose access through
inadequate subject headings and, more importantly, through failure to
provide access to names and works.  If this must be done, do it and label
it.  Don't say it is wonderful cataloging or anything but an expedient due
to lack of resources.

Yes, you can add things records; but if the material has been taken away
from a professional flow and given to someone told to do as little editing
as possible, gaps will probably not be filled.

As for series, the failure to record or use authority control on series
simply takes work from one back and puts on the backs of many.  In the
worst case scenario, libraries don't even bother with series.  Serious
academic researchers and young adults alike rely on controlled series
access points to locate materials, however.  Post-cataloging authority
control is possible on the local level, but that only works with records
that have already been created. Creating records and then saying that
something that does not have its access points controlled is a record that
can be used by others with minimal human involvement is inaccurate at
best.

Many past attempts to "simplify" cataloging, such as the descriptive
practices Seymour Lubetzky introduced to Library of Congress cataloging,
end up creating problems years later when people are trying to use
bibliographic data.  I think that simplifying instructions and principles
is possible and desirable, but I am highly dubious of solutions that allow
for the omission of information that scholars need.

Finally, LC has taken a step with its series policy that many of us
disagree with, and I vigorously object to essentially rewarding them for
bad behavior.  They should be able to do what they will, but they should
not be able to say that their records meet Bibco standards when they do
not.

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian
New Mexico State University