The practice of making a cross reference through location was an attempt
to provide some continuity in access for those accustomed to the 1941
ALA Cataloging Rules, in which access to various classes of corpporate
bodies was made through location.

In AACR2 itself, such references are made in order to show jurisdiction
over an entity when the entity itself is entered directly. In the US
AACR2 context, such references for a church could raise constitutional
issues in the mind of the cataloger.

Anthony R.D. Franks
Team Leader, Cooperative Cataloging Team
Library of Congress
202-707-2822 (voice)
202-252-2082 (fax)

>>> "Adam L. Schiff" <[log in to unmask]> 8/19/2008 11:12 PM >>>
Charles,

See LCRI 23.4B:

Form of Larger Place

If the heading for the larger place being added to the smaller place is

established according to the provisions of 24.6, do not include in the

qualifier the additions prescribed in 24.6.

Albany (N.Y.)
not
Albany (N.Y. (State))

Seoul (Korea)
not
Seoul (Korea (South))

So, when used as a qualifier, Cranberry (Butler County, Pa. : Township)

would be formulated as: (Cranberry, Butler County, Pa.)

As for the cross-reference through the place, that is an old practice
that
is no longer done, and NACO libraries are supposed to remove that
cross-ref when modifying an authority record for a church.  See LCRI
24.10B:

"Note 2: Before 1995, references were made from the place in which the

local religious institution is located. Delete such references when
maintenance work is required to the authority record for another
reason."

--Adam Schiff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
(206) 543-8409
(206) 685-8782 fax
http://faculty.washington.edu/~aschiff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Herrold, Charles wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I need to add the place: Cranberry (Butler County, Pa. :
Township) as a qualifier, and I can‚Ä*t find instructions on how to do
that. From relevant examples, I deduce that the parentheses are removed,
but sometimes Township is kept and sometimes it is not, e.g.:

> Betzer Union Church (Bloom, Fairfield County, Ohio : Township)
>

> BUT:
>

> Dravo Methodist Church (Elizabeth, Allegheny County, Pa.)
>

> There seems to be a bias towards the first of these formulations.
>

> Also, why is a 410 sometimes made from the place, e.g.:
>

> Elizabeth (Allegheny County, Pa. : Township). «*b Dravo Methodist
Church

> I find many ARs for religious institutions that lack the reference
from their location. Again, a search in Chapter 26 has not given me an
answer.

> Thanks,
>
> Chuck Herrold
>
> Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
>

> This email message and any files transmitted with it are intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.¬  Any use, distribution, copying
or disclosure by anyone other than the intended individual or entity is
prohibited without prior approval.¬  If you have received this
information in error, please notify the sender immediately.