From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Antony Robert David Franks
Sent: 06 August 2008 20:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] privacy of birth dates (was: Consulting the
Collective wisdom (Levity))

I think that our NACO colleagues outside the US would have some good
insights into this topic.

I know that there is a difference in legal practice between the US and
the European Union. Here it is public information and we have used it
unless asked to do otherwise. I *think* I recall my UK colleagues
telling me that, while birth dates are public records, they are not for
dissemination without approval.

Anthony R.D. Franks
Team Leader, Cooperative Cataloging Team Library of Congress
202-707-2822 (voice)
202-252-2082 (fax)

>>> "A. Ralph Papakhian" <[log in to unmask]> 8/6/2008 10:50 AM >>>
hi,

i have wondered about the presumed privacy of birth date information.
does anyone know for sure (as in citing chapter and verse of some law)?
many newspapers regularly report birth information as a matter of
record, no?

--ralph p.

A. Ralph Papakhian, Indiana University Music Library Bloomington, IN
co-owner: [log in to unmask]

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The British Library's new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2007/08 : www.bl.uk/knowledge