----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <[log in to unmask]>
> We fought this out several times in the 78-L in past years, and someone
> might be able to come up with my more detailed answers.  The question
> came up as to why 78.26 instead of 78.00.  The answer is the strobe
> disc, of course, which started being used in the mid-20s. <snip>
Another important point is the fact that synchronous AC motors either
didn't exist or weren't all that common in the "mid 20's!" They were
originally invented to power electric clocks, which needed a fixed-speed
power source...and AFAIK weren't used to power record players until
sometime in the thirties...!

Steven C. Barr