you should contact Art Shifrin, www.shifrin.net

Art will have your answers.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Hollis" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 4:57 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Advice needed on how to restore an old acoustic recording

Hi.  I'm an amateur at sound restoration. I don't do it as a profession,
just as a hobby that I really enjoy.

I purchased a Rek-O-Kut CVS-16 turntable that will play up to 16" discs, a
Stanton 500 cartrige and two styli (2.75TC, 3.0E). I transfer everything
thru a flat phono preamp, and do all the restoration and EQ in my software,
DC7Live.

I'm trying to restore a recording from 1916. It's on the Angelophone
label.  It is a vertical recording, seven inch, speech only.  I have
several copies of the recording, but I think they've all been damaged to
one extent or another.  I've tried playing them with a 2.75 TC diamond and
a 3.0 E.  The surface noise is quite pronounced.  I attached an mp3 of a
very short segment of the recording to let you see what I'm up against.

I don't have a microscope, and I don't want to continue buying styli until
I get the right one.

My question: Would anyone on the list be willing to look at and make a
recommendation on the proper stylus to play these recordings? I'm in New
York, and I'd be willing to send the recording to someone for evaluation
and recommendation on what type stylus I should use.  I know it's a long
shot, but I'd really like to do a good job restoring these recordings.  If
anyone has any suggestions for a humble newbie, I'm listening.

Thanks for considering.

Sincerely,
Eric Hollis