Prentice, Will wrote:
> Doug and all
>
> I've looked up this edition of Wireless World, but there's no mention of
> Victor's use of limiters I'm afraid. It's a short, 3 paragraph article
> entitled "New Recording Characteristic: Reducing Noise Level" describing
> in general terms the idea behind pre-emphasis.

I think the key word here is the use of the word "level" in the
headline.  Since limiters adjust level, could he have misinterpreted it
to mean that this EQ was adjusting levels?  As we know now, a
pre-emphasis properly works only if there is a calibrated reciprocal
de-emphasis on the playback end.  Consumer phonographs did not have
actual de-emphasis circuits at that time, only professional turntables
in broadcasting had them for the newly emerging Orthocoustic and NAB
curves.  Unlike Dolby and DBX, these units were completely passive.  Was
Peter possibly claiming that RCA was using limiters as an active EQ,
several decades in advance of Dolby?   And what was the 1941 Wireless
World article detailing?  Orthocoustic had been announced back in 1938
for ETs.  Was this a curve being used on commercial phonograph records
or a belated article on Orthocoustic?
> I don't recall discussing this with Peter, but others he worked with on
> a wider level may know his sources. George Brock-Nannestad, possibly?
>
> Will

I agree.  George, have you seen anything in the EMI papers that discuss
this?

Mike Biel   [log in to unmask]