I have read references to Harry Lookofsky�s Epic EP Miracle in Strings being
the first Ampex multitrack overdubbing. He plays three violins and two
violas. Bassist Oscar Pettiford also overdubs his cello. There are two dates
given for this disc. 18 June 1954, which I believe is the original rhythm
track, and 17 January 1955, which I imagine is the final mastering date.
Release was February. I would be grateful for any opinion/information about
the early status of this overdubbing. (Not to be confused, as it often is,
with Lookofsky�s1959 Atlantic Stringsville LP.)

Many thanks, Anthony
http://www.abar.net