I have heard (secondhand) that the snackmaster type has rising air
without a fan (am I correct?) thus gets hotter at the bottom reel
than the top.

This is why I like the excalibur which forces heated air across all
reels equally... Agreed on safety of splices!

<L>
Lou Judson � Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689