Hello.

I am in need of some advice.  I joined this list because my dream in life
is to be a cataloging educator and to study cataloging instruction.  I got
my MLS about 5 years ago and am in the process of applying to Ph.D
programs.  A couple weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to schedule a meeting
with one of the Ph.D advisors of the program I am applying to, who told me
that cataloging instruction is not an appropriate topic for research (at
least not for my dissertation).  Needless to say, I am slightly crushed and
have no good idea on what to study.

I want so badly to influence new librarians, to change their perceptions of
cataloging and to show them how fun it can be.  I have volunteered for the
Task Force on Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging, but
since I cannot afford (on many levels) to go to the ALA conferences, I feel
like I'm not helping.

I enjoy reading this listserv very much and am hoping that someone can
provide me with a little direction.

Thank you.

Maren E.A. Mayer