Hi Michele,

I would think it's OK by EAD either way, and depends mostly on what you want
out of this container listing. Is there a need for people to be able to pick
out city names very easily? Do we assume they already know what is here and
understand "A-G", or do they need to browse what is present? If what you are
worried about is display issues and want city names appear in a list-like
fashion, you could always use the EAD <list> element within your scope note.
I think it's wise to stay away from line breaks if they aren't necessary. Or
if you like the second method better but don't like the container repeating
20 times, you can suppress it in the Web output with your XSLT (see dsc6, 7,
12 or 13 of the EAD Cookbook for example code of how to do that).

Joyce Chapman