It is interesting to reflect on the degree to which numerous questions posed to this list are more about matters of arrangement and description than EAD itself.    But it has long been acknowledged that the common vocabulary that standards like EAD give us facilitates such discussions.   Please keep the questions coming; they stimulate important professional discussion.

Michael Fox

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joyce Chapman
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 10:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Encoding oversize material

Hi Michele,

I would think it's OK by EAD either way, and depends mostly on what you want out of this container listing. Is there a need for people to be able to pick out city names very easily? Do we assume they already know what is here and understand "A-G", or do they need to browse what is present? If what you are worried about is display issues and want city names appear in a list-like fashion, you could always use the EAD <list> element within your scope note. I think it's wise to stay away from line breaks if they aren't necessary. Or if you like the second method better but don't like the container repeating 20 times, you can suppress it in the Web output with your XSLT (see dsc6, 7, 12 or 13 of the EAD Cookbook for example code of how to do that).

Joyce Chapman