Karen,
 I'm glad that you found the LC Best Practices guidelines useful. I'd like to let you know that the guidelines are now available at http://www.loc.gov/rr/ead/lcp/, where the revised content should be more readable and navigable (and, as you note, there is a PDF version available for printing). This is part of the site redesign of http://www.loc.gov/rr/ead/, which describes implementation of EAD for LC collections, as distinguished from the official site http://www.loc.gov/ead/, which is maintained by the Network and Mark Standards Office of LC in partnership with SAA.
Thanks for checking us out!
Best,
Mary

Mary Lacy
Manuscript Division
Library of Congress
Washington DC 20540-4682
202-707-8799
fax 202-707-6336

>>> "Karen D. Miller" <[log in to unmask]> 10/23/2008 3:13 PM >>>
I found a list of recommended source attributes for <controlaccess>
subelements for names in the LC Best Practices guidelines:

http://www.loc.gov/ead/practices/lcp2002.html#p3.5.3.2a

and, indeed, the recommended attribute for Library of Congress Authority
Files is "lcnaf". There is also a list of attributes for sources for subject
headings on this page, under section 3.3.2.5.  Section 3.3.2.1, the general
overview for <controlaccess> gives a fuller list:

aat, cdwa, dot, gmgpc, lcnaf, lcsh, lctgm, local, mesh, mim, ncarules, nmc,
rbgenr, tgn, ulan

The Best Practices guidelines are difficult to navigate to on the LC site;
I've had this one bookmarked for a long time, but when I tried to navigate
to it, I had to use the search box at www.loc.gov/ead. But there is a pdf
version dated 2008 at

http://www.loc.gov/rr/ead/lcp/lcp.pdf

Best regards,