For the Online Archive of California re-design, we very consciously designed
a collection level entry page that would provide basic information for the
end-user dropped in from Google as well as the expert archival end-user. We
culled basic data from the abstract, scopecontent, bioghist, physdesc,
userestrict, and accessrestrict fields and labeled these fields with more
generic labels such as description, background, etc. so that the dropped in
end-user would have some basic collection information that they could
understand. We did not use the label "finding aid" anywhere on the page-
instead we referred to the finding aid as a collection guide. We also
provided a very clear "Items" label that told the user that they had to
either go to the physical location or that there were online items available
to them. These two choices linked off to either more information to get to
the institution or a view of the online items.

For the expert end-user and the more interested Google end-user there were
entire finding aid views or more complete archdesc data linked from this
main entry page so they could quickly scan through the more detailed
information set.

We also designed icons to put next to our items labels to physical location
and online items to draw the user's attention to these areas.

We are in the midst of our re-design so these are iterative ideas that we're
forming as we prototype and user test.

I hope that this helps the discussion.

Rachael Hu
User Experience Design Manager