I have just added two METS schema change suggestions to the METS wiki
for consideration in the 1.8 version.

The first proposes that we change structLink to accommodate
xlink:extendedLink as well as xlink:simpleLink:

http://www.socialtext.net/mim-
2006/?cr_1_8_add_xlink_extendedlink_support_to_the_structlink_element

The second proposes that we make the ID attributes on mdSecType elements
optional to align with actual practice:

http://www.socialtext.net/mim-
2006/index.cgi?cr_1_8_align_dmdsec_techmd_rightsmd_sourcemd_and_digipro-
vmd_id_attribute_requirements_with_actual_practice

Currently the METS structLink element only supports simple links--that
is one to one links between nodes of the mets structMap. British Library
has encountered a need for extended links--specifically the ability to
express a sequential set of links between one structMap node and
multiple other nodes. To provide for this need in an xlink compliant
manner, and in a manner that may be generally useful, I propose that we
add support for extended links to the structLink element by means of an
smLinkGrp element. I have attached two files to this proposal. One
showing a tentative, possible implementation of an extended link element--smLinkGrp--
within the METS structLink element; and another showing a sample
instance document that makes use of the extended link capabilities.

(Added by Rick Beaubien)

{file: mets1-8WithLinkGrps.xsd}

{file: smLinkGrpExample.xml}