  The following is a brief summary of suggested responses to this thread,
placed in the context of Laurence's message below.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Laurence Creider wrote:

> ... what provision in the rules disallows the use of the verb or
> its abbreviation?

   The term "sculpsit" is not a "descriptive phrase", it is a "statement of
responsibility."

> Gary Strawn is correct in that the qualifying term need not be a noun

   A "term of address" would probably be interpreted to be a "noun", but
prepositional "descriptive phrases" [e.g., "of Lancaster"] are permissible
for pre-20th century persons. Others?

> you cannot (absent a provision in an LCRI) create authority records with
> a term that is not present in some source, something you can do for
> musicians.

  Yes. In fact, an abundance of "engravers" in the NAF have the term lifted
from secondary sources, even though something akin to "sculp." may appear
on works [search personal name = engraver and look especially for DLC
records and for possible reference sources for your engravers].

> I would prefer to invoke the statement in the LCRI for 22.19 that, "When
> a descriptive phrase ... would result in an awkward addition ... prefer
> the "flourished" or "century" date(s)."

  Nice, but very prone to cataloger's prerogative!

> Since you will be doing a lot of these, investment in comprehensive reference
> sources might be worthwhile.

   And try online, too.

>>> (example: 100 Andre, $c sculp.)

   One should always be sufficiently wary of *non-LC* "established"
headings to avoid using them as examples of any "approved" NACO practice
[caviat: I am not implying that LC is always "right" either, but it is
relatively likely].

Cheers!

jgm
                                             John G. Marr
                                             Cataloger
                                             RMBA, UNMGL
                                             Univ. of New Mexico
                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**
                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.