Well, yes, but what provision in the rules disallows the use of the verb
or its abbreviation?  I do not like the use of the term "sculp." because
the same individual might use sculp. sc. or even del.  Gary Strawn is
correct in that the qualifying term need not be a noun, but I do think
that the verb is awkward and that you cannot (absent a provision in an
LCRI) create authority records with a term that is not present in some
source, something you can do for musicians.  The hierarchy in the LCRI for
the choise of descriptors for otherwise identical surnames is 1) the chief
source of information, 2) elsewhere in the item, and 3) in reference
sources.

I would prefer to invoke the statement in the LCRI for 22.19 that, "When a
descriptive phrase is long or complex and would result in an awkward
addition to the heading, prefer the "flourished" or "century" date(s)."
Much of the time a surname with a fl. date or even a century date can
serve as a placeholder" to distinguish two otherwise identical names.  If
there is no person identified by that surname, you need not even add a
date in the authority record and simply use a relator term or code in the
bibliographic record.

Since you will be doing a lot of these, investment in comprehensive
reference sources might be worthwhile.  Karen might know of a few that not
even the Folger has.

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian
New Mexico State University