If there's really no way to express it as an algorithm, you might
just want to make sure you have a unique ID on each container, then
maintain an XML list of IDs whose corresponding containers need an
<hr> (or CSS border attribute, etc) inserted afterward. The
stylesheet can check a given container's ID against the list and
format accordingly. That way, at least, you're maintaining the
information external to the EAD.

B-

On Nov 17, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Riley, Jenn wrote:

>> It sounds like the ruling has nothing to do with the content
>> of your finding aid but is a display issue, right?  If so,
>> rather than using a hard-coded attribute in your EAD, why not
>> decide under what conditions you want it, then test for it in
>> the style sheet and output if it meets the conditions?  For
>> example, say you want an hr only if there are more than 3
>> c02s; put that test in your style sheet.  Or if you want it
>> only if there are more than 3 c02s AND they each have more
>> than 3 c03's.  Or only if there are more than 75 c0#s in
>> total.  Etc etc etc -- you can make up whatever test you want.
>
> That's *exactly* what I was saying we can't do - it's just too
> unpredictable. It's really just a "I've seen what it's going to
> look like and think a line is needed" decision. Bleah.
>
> Jenn
>
> ========================
> Jenn Riley
> Metadata Librarian
> Digital Library Program
> Indiana University - Bloomington
> Wells Library W501
> (812) 856-5759
> www.dlib.indiana.edu
>
> Inquiring Librarian blog: www.inquiringlibrarian.blogspot.com

Brian Sheppard
University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
[log in to unmask]    (608) 262-3349