Hello all,

For some of our more complex finding aids we're discovering that vertical space and indenting some of the description isn't enough to make it obvious where the descripton of one component ends and the next begins. One option we're considering for improving this is rendering an <hr> (or something similar) between <c0x> at the same level. But *only* in certain cases! We definitely don't want, say, horizontal lines between every <c02> in every finding aid on our entire site. What we want is *something* in the encoding to trigger a line appearing above (or below, we haven't worked that out yet) the text of a component.

I'm trying to figure out what we could use in EAD encoding to trigger this. I'm a big believer in the stylesheet handling this sort of thing, but it's just not possible for us to come up with a semantic-based pattern to trigger this display. We really do need something in the EAD that refers to rendering information. Whatever it is would need to be available on the <c0x> elements, using the EAD2002 XML Schema (not the DTD).

So far I've come up with two options:

1) altrender attribute on <c0x>. We'd set a convention like ALTRENDER="hr" and add into our rendering stylesheet to look for that.

2) tpattern attribute on <c02>. I don't understand the tabular display attributes on the whole, and why it's available on <c0x>, so I don't really know if this is even in the right ballpark.

Thoughts? Other ways to do this I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks all,

Jenn

Jenn Riley
Metadata Librarian