Last day to register!!

UnSpinning Campaign 2008

Presented by Brooks Jackson, author of unSpun: Finding facts in a world
of disinformation http://www.factcheck.org/unspun/
<http://www.factcheck.org/unspun/>

As you know, every election produces winners and losers. Our Chapter's
Wednesday, November 19th program -- "UnSpinning Campaign 2008" --
featuring FactCheck.org's founder Brooks Jackson, will be a winner.

Jackson, a top investigative journalist who headlined the SLA @ Seattle
"Spotlight Speaker" session produced by the Government Information and
News Divisions, drew an audience of several hundred. In its Conference
wrap-up, Information Today rated Jackson's session among the ten most
notable. Thanks to Dow Jones' sponsorship, we now have the opportunity
to hear Jackson's expert perspective on the entire campaign's political
information.

He'll draw from his book -- "unSpun: Finding Facts in a World of
Disinformation" -- an enjoyable look at such information topics as the
warning signs of spin; why we get spun; and techniques for finding the
best evidence. And, he'll highlight FactCheck.org -- the winner of two
2008 Webby Awards.

Don't lose this opportunity!

Sponsored by: Dow Jones & Company

DATE: Wednesday, November 19, 2008

TIME: 6:00pm to 8:00pm (Light refreshments  6:00-6:30, program
6:30-8:00)

LOCATION:

Venable LLP

575 7th St. NW (Eighth Floor)

Washington, DC   20004

METRO:  Gallery Place/Chinatown (Red, Yellow, and Green lines). Take the
7th Street exit.

RSVP: Greta Ober, [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Deadline: Monday, November 17th

PRICE: (please refer to the registration page for payment options:
http://units.sla.org/chapter/cdc/events_files/Nov1908.html)

$15.00 - DC Chapter members

$25.00 - Non-chapter members

$5.00 - Students/retired/unemployed

Attention: regardless of payment, ALL attendees must "rsvp"

Please share this seminar announcement with others who may be interested
(SLA members/non-members)

***
For information about other DC-SLA events, visit the DC Chapter 2008
Events page: http://units.sla.org/chapter/cdc/events.html

Greta Ober
2008 DC - SLA VP / President Elect
Past-Chair, SLA Social Science Division