Dear JAC members,

I am still not entirely "unconfused" when it comes to the item car. Help please ...

The ISO 639-3 and the ISO 639-2 web sites both have Galibi Carib as the English name. But the French names that are registered, are karib; galibi; carib. In my simple mind this doesn't fit together.

The English Wikipedia starts the article on Carib language with: "Carib, also known as Caribe, Cariña, Galibi, Galibí, Kali'na, Kalihna, Kalinya, Galibi Carib, Maraworno and Marworno, is ...", while the French Wikipedia states "Le kali'na (anciennement appelé galibi <http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galibi> ) est une langue amérindienne appartenant à la grande famille des langues caraïbes <http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langues_cara%C3%AFbes>  (ou caribes)." You may also wish to take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cariban_languages.

It seems to me that we need an ISO 639-5 identifier for "Cariban languages", of which our car is one. And what would be the most appropriate names (in English and French) attached to car? Would Galibi; Carib (note ;) and galibi; carib; karib be the most appropriate?

Best regards,

Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad

  Standard Norge / Standards Norway
  Postboks 242, NO-1326 Lysaker
  besøksadresse / visiting address: Strandveien 18

  tel: (+47) 67838600  |  faks / fax: (+47) 67838601

  direkte tel / direct tel: (+47) 67838645

  [log in to unmask] <blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>

  http://www.standard.no/ <blocked::http://www.standard.no/>