  Bravo, Hal!

    No one could have stated it better!  Let me add one observation --

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Hal Cain wrote:

> john g marr wrote:

>> ...  why are theses given a relatively exceptional level of
>> mention?

> Because they are [by-and-large] unpublished and largely uncirculated ...
> they're still not "mainstream" documents in the sense that commercial
> publication, or posting on a widely-accessible site, creates ... I find
> problems with [any] names established on the basis of a single
> occurrence.

   In corroboration, we have AACR2 22.1: "... choose as the *basis* of the
heading ... the name by which [an author] is commonly [!] known", and that
just ain't [!] likely to be the name on a thesis [except by chance], or be
determinable by the thesis if that is all an author has "issued"!

Cheers!
                                             John G. Marr
                                             Cataloger
                                             CDS, UL
                                             Univ. of New Mexico
                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**
                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.