Hello all,

     In view of recent mention of the heading Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Felix,  1809-1847, coded d, AACR2 compatible, and informal discussions of this I’ve had with colleagues, I thought it timely to research the name a little to determine would the true AACR2 form would be.  My assumption is that when the heading was determined to be compatible some 30 years ago that decision was based on the fullness issue, implying that the AACR2 form would be shorter, i.e.:  Mendelssohn, Felix,  1809-1847. Research shows this not to be so, but one issue remains: most sources no longer include a hyphen in the compound surname, and I wonder if the heading could be upgraded from “d” to “c” without making that revision. This seems different in character from French compound forenames, e.g. Rameau, Jean-Philippe … (AACR2) vs. Rameau, Jean Philippe (AACR2 compatible), where that change is definitely being made in revising from compatible, but I am asking out of uncertainty.

     I have the following revision of n 79139515 in the works:

010  n  79139515  ǂz no 97084359

040  DLC ǂb eng ǂc DLC ǂd DLC ǂd OCoLC ǂd PPi-MA ǂd DLC ǂd OCoLC

053 0ML410.M5 ǂc Biography

1001 Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Felix, ǂd 1809-1847

670  New Grove, 2nd ed. ǂb (Mendelssohn(-Bartholdy), (Jacob Ludwig) Felix; b. Feb. 3, 1809, Hamburg, d. Nov. 4, 1847, Leipzig; German composer; b. Felix Mendelssohn; baptized into the Protestant faith Mar. 21, 1816 and given the additional names Jakob Ludwig; when his parents became Protestants in 1822 they added the surname Bartholdy)  >>>>> [text after “composer” added; 670s that follow all new]

670  MGG, 2. Ausg. ǂb (under Mendelssohn: Felix (Jacob Ludwig)); b. Feb. 3, 1809, Hamburg, d. Nov. 4, 1847, Leipzig; composer, pianist, and conductor)

670  Riemann Musik Lexikon, 12. Aufl. ǂb (Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Felix Jakob Ludwig; b. Feb. 3, 1809, Hamburg, d. Nov. 4, 1847, Leipzig; German composer)

670  Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, F. Sinfonie Nr. 1 c-Moll op. 11, 2000: ǂb t.p. (Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy) series t.p. (Leipziger Ausgabe der Werke von Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy)

670  Deutsche Nationalbibliothek authority file, Nov. 16, 2008 ǂb (Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Felix, 1809-1847)

670  German Wikipedia, Nov. 16, 2008 ǂb (Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy; Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy)

670  Mendelssohn-Gesellschaft WWW site, Nov. 16, 2008: ǂb Mendelssohn Bartholdy (Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy)

670  Find a Grave WWW site, Nov. 16, 2008 ǂb (photo of tombstone: Jacob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy)

670  Google WWW search, German language pages, Nov. 16, 2008 ǂb ("Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy": ca. 318,000 results; "Felix Mendelssohn" without Bartholdy: ca. 80,200)

An informal search of recently published German scores shows a decided preference for the usage Mendelssohn Bartholdy, rather than Mendelssohn, as well.

     It has been noted that the number of ARs that would require change is formidable; to be precise, there are 546 of them. While removing the hyphen from each of these, with hundreds of additional reference fields, would not be an overwhelming task, some of us more obsessive types usually re-evaluate the title portion of each heading.  That would add considerable time to the task, mitigated, at least, by the certainty that the vast majority of the titles are correct.

     Since the additional of a new name-title AR for a compatible name triggers the need to upgrade the name from compatible to full AACR2 form, it is certain that this issue will arise in the near term.

Thanks for your comments,

Chuck Herrold

Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

This email message and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by anyone other than the intended individual or entity is prohibited without prior approval.  If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately.