In the BIBCO-at-large meeting this spring, Beecher Wiggins said that there
will be no RIs with RDA.   Ana may want to give more detail on this, but
I'd like to propose that we retain, at least in spirit, 5 words that I
remember from a RI, but haven't been able to find in the Catalogers
Desktop (probably lost in revision).

DO NOT STRAIN FOR CONSISTENCY.

Many of the RI's (such as the 80% rule and the recently discussed decision
on AACR2 compatible headings) try to strike a balance between exact
application of a standard and efficiency.    "Balance" implies
flexibility, but there is a tendency to ask for guidance on EXACTLY how to
balance.   For example, there was the recent question of the hyphen in a
compound name.  IMHO, this is not an important enough change to merit the
work, but there has been one vote in the other direction.  Do we need to
keep debating these marginal cases, or can we just say "if it is close to
the line, go either way, and do not strain for consistency"?

Amy

Amy H. Turner
Monographic Cataloger & Authority Control Coordinator
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC   27708-0190

"Moore, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]>
11/19/2008 03:27 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [PCCLIST] LCRI 22.3A

Ana

Will 22.3B1 also be removed? That also contains an application of the 80%
rule:

"After an author has been established, if subsequently received works show
a form in a language not selected for the heading, change the heading when
80% of the author's works are in that language."

On a more general note, what will be the status of the LCRIs, and the
guidance therein, upon implementation of RDA?

Regards
Richard
Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager