From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Hostage
Sent: Wednesday, 05 November, 2008 13:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Form of Heading for a Thesis

I think there is a danger that this practice could be carried too far.  My feeling is that authors who care about how their names appear in catalogs should take care that they appear that way on their works  <...>

[DJL]  Exactly, which is why author's usage on his published works, over which he has some control, should trump the usage on a thesis, over which he usually doesn't.

Back in my personal Dark Ages, I wrote an opinion piece in Cataloging & Classification Quarterly on this issue. It's something I feel strongly about, and am disappointed in the final decision for this name. On the other hand, it's not a person we'll ever have in our catalog. (-;

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.