I see that Mary and I have different recommendations. A point of fact,
though: Marc J. Russell is no less full than Marc James Russell. See
LCRI 22.3A Fullness

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Mary Dabney Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, 04 November, 2008 14:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: heading on record for a thesis

Hi Pat,

You have a fullness issue which is covered by LCRI 22.3A...the 80% rule.
You first ask "Does the form found on your piece agree with the form
found in headings for this author".  It seems that you have a case where
your form matches one of several different forms already on bib records.
If that's the case, then you go to the second provision of the LCRI
where you count usages and if you have 80% for one usage, great...you
use that form made into a heading with possible additions of initials
spelled out and birthdate.  However, if there is no one form of usage
that would equal 80%, then you need to use the fullest form, and that
most certainly _can_ be the form on the thesis or dissertation.  For the
case you describe, I believe you should be using the fullest form:

Russell, Marc James, $d 1975-

I hope this helps [and agrees with other responses you get]  ;)

Mary Dabney Wilson

Cataloging Librarian

University Libraries

Texas A&M University

5000 TAMU | College Station, TX  77843-5000

Tel. 979.458.1366  | Fax. 979.862.1166

http://library.tamu.edu

>>> Pat Fowler <[log in to unmask]> 11/4/2008 12:54 PM >>>
I want to establish a heading for Marc J. Russell, author of
Verification of bay productivity measurement by remote sensors.
(ocm76884043). There is already a record for this title in OCLC with the
heading Russell, Marc J.

I know that this is the same person listed as author of the thesis: Net
ecosystem metabolism in Texas shallow water estuaries (ocm68816448)
Russell, Marc James |d 1975

and likely  Marc Russell(ocm54855207 and ocm54488377)

I'm unsure how to determine which version of the name to use.  Can
someone please tell me if I can use the fullest form as found on the
thesis?
Russell, Marc James, |d 1975
Russell, Marc J. |q (Marc James), |d 1975
Russell, Marc J.

Thank you for your help.

Pat Fowler

Patsy D. Fowler
Head, Cataloging Department
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
Archives and Information Services Division
www.tsl.state.tx.us
512-463-7102