Michael Biel wrote:
> Look, I don't want to ruffle some feathers, but we need to set the
> record straight.

> Dave Lewis was correct in saying "MK stands for Mezhdunarodnaya Kniga"
> but that is where it ends.  That translates to International Books, and
> as I posted before, MK is the EXPORT AGENCY for books, records, and
> philatelic postage stamps.

> The book publishers published
> books and MK decided which ones to export and which ones not to export.
> The record company run by the Ministry of Culture published records and
> MK decided which ones to export and which ones to not export.

Please forgive the snips, but your extensive and authoritative post
opens only one question for me: Did MK have a role in the variant
versions offered in the USSR and for export? There are several operas in
which a major role, often the title role, was dubbed by different
artists for domestic and foreign sale. It seemed to me that someone -
perhaps MK - decided in 1948 to keep Reizen a secret, so had Boris's
part redone by Pirogov for foreign release in 1949.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/