I do want to follow up on this since I initiated the discussion by
trying to decipher and decode a record in hand. From the start, I was
able to transliterate enough to be certain that Medtner was the composer
and soloist on the disc and I had tracked down the Testament CD of the
Medtner/Philharmonia/Dobrowen recording. I could not read enough of the
rest of the text to conclude that this was definitely the 1947 Mahrajah
of Mysore sponsored recording and not some other one since the recording
company and all other information beyond composer, work and performer,
was undecipherable to me. I did hear from Marcia Segal who very
helpfully deciphered a scan I sent them and I now know that it is just a
dismally poor pressing of the Philharmonia Abbey Road LP. I have not
asked for permission to quote, so I hope she won't mind my sharing a
portion of the correspondence in hope that someone else is familiar with
the issuing label and might have more information on it. Mike Biel and
Steve Smolian have ventured a fair amount on clarification on the
Melodiya/MK situation, but this does not appear have anything to do with
them, but rather something close to what is below.

>Very rough transliteration/phonetic rendering, enough that you may be able to search via Google:
>
>From top to bottom:
>
>1) The line at the top ending with CCCP
>
>Ministyerstvo Cultyur CCCP (possibly)
>Cultural Ministry of the Soviet Union

*>2) BCG and in the black ribbon beneaeth it

>Vsyesoyuznaya Studiya Gramzapisi *(possibly)
>the second word means "study"

Anyone have more information or want a crack at the scan that I have made?

Thanks to Marcia and anyone with supplemental info.

Peter Hirsch