I would assume that Kodak bases their results on measurements during the
accelerated ageing and light exposure processes only of BLER for CD-R and
its equivalent PIE (or PIESum8) for DVD-R. Such measurements are usually
misleading, as reported in our technical white paper published on our web
site at http://www.mscience.com/longev.html .

"Test data did not identify one universal end-of-life indicator, probably
because of the diverse media sources included in this study. BLER was a poor
indicator, showing acceptable results for samples that failed other
important quality requirements."

Again, gold is one of the least important factors that influence longevity.
The recording drive and write speed is very important, as is the general
design and quality management of the media manufacturing process. I am sorry
to see misleading information based only on marketing claims, but am
thankful that I am not responsible for the resulting archives.

Jerry Hartke
President
Media Sciences, Inc.