Apologies for cross-posting. I'm forwarding a query from the Assistant University Archivist at Wesleyan, looking for 78 rpm recordings from the 1920's that include the Wesleyan Glee Club.

I should add that I did find in our own collection a record on the Brunswick label from the 1926 intercollegiate competition that featured the "prize entry" song, "Lamp in the West" by Horatio Parker. There are several records in OCLC for this song at this very competition on 78, since apparently each school performed it. Ours is OCLC #80129583. No holdings are given for most of these recordings, and I gather from a note that they were cataloged as part of an NEH- and Rigler/Deutsch-funded project to get records for 78's into OCLC.

What I think we'd like to find out is whether there were any other 78s issued from the same competition, or perhaps the 1927 competition, which Wesleyan also won - or any others from the same period. I am hoping that some of the catalogers involved in this recon project might be on the lists and know where there are likely to be large holdings of college glee club recordings from the 1920's.

Thanks in advance.

Alec

Alec McLane
Scores & Recordings/
 World Music Archives       Phone: (860) 685-3899
Olin Library                       Fax: (860) 685-2661
Wesleyan University          mailto:[log in to unmask]
Middletown, CT  06459       http://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/srhome/srdir.htm
________________________________
Hello:

I am looking for any recordings of the Wesleyan University (Connecticut) Glee Club during the 1920s, specifically during the period from 1924 to 1928. The school won the Glee Club Intercollegiate Championship in both 1926 and 1927, and they toured extensively on the east coast. If you know of any surviving recordings, I would be most grateful.

It might be helpful to note that these were the other schools competing at the championships in 1926 and 1927:

1926

Wesleyan University

Princeton University

University of Kansas