First of all, sorry for the cross-posting...

I am beside myself. A non-profit heritage site
that I'm peripherally involved with has had a
disk crash and they then found out that their
backup system has not been working for three
years...although it was religiously taken off-site daily for three years!

I had nothing to do with it, but one person/firm
basically told them to forget about the
recovery—that they were likely to get only a few
percent at best--and if anything was retreived
they'd owe the full fee of $3000.

I'm hoping to have a meeting with some of the
people who know something about the system and
the problem right after Christmas and the key
piece of information I need to help them is a
short list of drive recovery vendors, especially in Canada.

I suspect that no one on these lists have had any
first-hand experience with the need for
this...you're all too careful about backups, and
that is fortunate!!! But maybe you helped someone with their laptop, etc.

I can do a Google search, but I'm hoping that
someone knows someone who has had data recovered
(or attempted it) from a crashed hard drive and
can provide an informed perspective about the
process before we dump kilobucks on it.

If you've had recovery from a crashed RAID set,
I'd like to hear about that as well, as I don't
think it's a RAID set, but it could be. The more
info I have going into this, the better.

It's probably better if you respond directly to
me at mailto:[log in to unmask] and I can
write a summary piece to post back--if you'd
prefer to be confidential, please let me know.

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays!!!

Cheers,

Richard