OCLC Eastern's goal is to provide you with the education and training
you need, when and where you need it. As such, we are pleased to offer
an array of classes spanning several topical areas.

Outlined below are classes we have planned for the next few months. We
add new classes frequently, so to stay as up-to-date as possible, sign
up for our Training RSS feed
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC34B:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>  which provides daily
updates on courses that have just been scheduled. If you are interested
in a more collective view of training opportunities, opt for our
Training Update
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC34C:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>  and we will send you
regular information. Or, view our Web site
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC33D:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&> .

Jump to:   Cataloging and Metadata <blocked::#cataloging>   |
Librarianship and Professional Issues <blocked::#librarianship>   |
Reference and Public Service <blocked::#reference>    |   Resource
Sharing (ILL) <blocked::#sharing>

Cataloging and Metadata

*	Basic Serials Cataloging
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC34D:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	February 24 - 25, 2009
	9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

	This two-day course comes to you from the Serials Cataloging
Cooperative Training Program (SCCTP). Covering the basics of both print
and electronic serials, the course focuses on elements such as
appropriate MARC 21 tagging, as well as best practices when approaching
problem-solving and decision-making. Whether you are a beginner serials
cataloger, technician or monograph cataloger, this course provides a
strong foundation.

*	Fundamentals of Library of Congress Classification
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC34E:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	January 14-16, 2009
	9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
	OCLC Eastern

	This course presents authoritative training in the principles
and practices of Library of Congress Classification (LCC) and is perfect
for both PCC and non-PCC participants who want to gain a better
understanding of the LCC system. The modules are designed to build basic
skills in library staff who catalog or perform tasks dependent on
classification systems. This course will be most useful for those who
are new to the LCC system and those who have some basic knowledge of
cataloging and the MARC formats. While not designed to cover advanced or
specialized topics, the course is a great way for experienced
catalogers, especially those who supervise or train other catalogers, to
review the basics.

*	MARC Basics Webinar
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC34F:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	December 16, 2008
	1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
	WebEx online meeting

	February 12, 2009
	10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
	WebEx online meeting

	If you're new to metadata and you want to stick to the basics
before delving into the digital realm, then our MARC Basics Webinar will
help you to build a solid foundation, helping you to employ
bibliographic standards and the OCLC-MARC format for the creation of
original records, as well as give you the know-how and the confidence to
edit existing bibliographic records in WorldCat. We will walk you
through the process of identifying the most commonly used MARC tags,
field-by-field.

*	Searching WorldCat for Catalogers Webinar
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC350:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	January 6, 2009
	10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
	WebEx online meeting

	This workshop introduces the technical service users and
catalogers to searching WorldCat. Students will learn numeric, keyword,
and scan title searching strategies, and how to navigate search results.
Participants will also learn how to select the most effective search and
how to use qualifiers to narrow search results. Examples and exercieses
will be based on the OCLC Connexion Client interface.

[...]

*	OCLC FirstSearch Basics Webinar
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC351:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	January 21, 2009
	10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
	WebEx online meeting

	FirstSearch is used by patrons, reference staff, and ILL
practitioners to locate bibliographic resources. This half-day course
will introduce students to basic, advanced, and expert search
techniques. Students will also be introduced to the FirstSearch
interface, customization options, direct request, and My Account
options. Also covered is how to cross-search in up to three databases at
one time, sort and limit the search results, use advanced search
features such as index and subject headings lists, and locate
appropriate Internet resources.

Resource Sharing (ILL)

*	Introduction to the ILL Policies Directory Webinar
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC352:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	December 10, 2008
	10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
	WebEx online meeting

	This course will review the OCLC ILL Policies Directory and it
will also provide participants an opportunity to create your own ILL
policies. The ILL Policies Directory provides two main functions to
enhance your ILL workflow. First, it enables libraries to enter and
display information about their library, lending policies and pricing,
and library contacts, collections, and schedules. Second, it provides a
way to search potential resource sharing libraries by OCLC institution
symbol, institution name, or unit name.

*	OCLC FirstSearch Basics Webinar
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC351:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	January 21, 2009
	10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
	WebEx online meeting

	FirstSearch is used by patrons, reference staff, and ILL
practitioners to locate bibliographic resources. This half-day course
will introduce students to basic, advanced, and expert search
techniques. Students will also be introduced to the FirstSearch
interface, customization options, direct request, and My Account
options. Also covered is how to cross-search in up to three databases at
one time, sort and limit the search results, use advanced search
features such as index and subject headings lists, and locate
appropriate Internet resources.

*	WorldCat Resource Sharing Admin Module Webinar
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC353:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	February 5, 2009
	10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
	WebEx online meeting

	Resource sharing entails more than placing and responding to
requests. Learn the tips and shortcuts that will enhance your experience
in processing lending and borrowing requests. Would you like to enable
patrons to produce their own requests? Would you like to create
customized groups and paths for more efficient borrowing? Would you like
to create an easy form for reptetitive information? Attend this course
to discover how to use the OCLC WorldCat Resource Sharing Admin Module
to streamline your workflow and make your interlibrary loan experience
more productive.

*	WorldCat Resource Sharing Basics
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC354:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&>
	January 29, 2009
	9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
	OCLC Eastern

	Whether you're new to OCLC ILL, or your library is looking to
shift from Passport or ILL Web to WorldCat Resource Sharing, this
one-day, hands-on course is perfect. Participants will learn about
customization options, searching and accessing records from OCLC's
WorldCat bibliographic database, and producing and completing requests.
The instructor will also demonstrate how to create and respond to
requests as a lender.

From RSS feeds to member updates, staying informed is easier than ever
with OCLC Eastern electronic communications
<blocked::http://visit.oclc.org/t?r=896&c=1537210&l=30870&ctl=20EC356:91
7BC46257BDD85191DF46AB14BFAAADD6A387371AADFFF5&> .