OCLC Eastern's goal is to provide you with the education and training you need, when and where you need it. As such, we are pleased to offer an array of classes spanning several topical areas.

Outlined below are classes we have planned for the next few months. We add new classes frequently, so to stay as up-to-date as possible, sign up for our Training RSS feed which provides daily updates on courses that have just been scheduled. If you are interested in a more collective view of training opportunities, opt for our Training Update and we will send you regular information. Or, view our Web site.

Jump to:   Cataloging and Metadata  |   Librarianship and Professional Issues  |   Reference and Public Service   |   Resource Sharing (ILL)

Cataloging and Metadata

  • Basic Serials Cataloging
    February 24 - 25, 2009
    9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

    This two-day course comes to you from the Serials Cataloging Cooperative Training Program (SCCTP). Covering the basics of both print and electronic serials, the course focuses on elements such as appropriate MARC 21 tagging, as well as best practices when approaching problem-solving and decision-making. Whether you are a beginner serials cataloger, technician or monograph cataloger, this course provides a strong foundation.

  • Fundamentals of Library of Congress Classification
    January 14-16, 2009
    9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    OCLC Eastern

    This course presents authoritative training in the principles and practices of Library of Congress Classification (LCC) and is perfect for both PCC and non-PCC participants who want to gain a better understanding of the LCC system. The modules are designed to build basic skills in library staff who catalog or perform tasks dependent on classification systems. This course will be most useful for those who are new to the LCC system and those who have some basic knowledge of cataloging and the MARC formats. While not designed to cover advanced or specialized topics, the course is a great way for experienced catalogers, especially those who supervise or train other catalogers, to review the basics.

  • MARC Basics Webinar
    December 16, 2008
    1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
    WebEx online meeting

    February 12, 2009
    10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    WebEx online meeting

    If you're new to metadata and you want to stick to the basics before delving into the digital realm, then our MARC Basics Webinar will help you to build a solid foundation, helping you to employ bibliographic standards and the OCLC-MARC format for the creation of original records, as well as give you the know-how and the confidence to edit existing bibliographic records in WorldCat. We will walk you through the process of identifying the most commonly used MARC tags, field-by-field.

  • Searching WorldCat for Catalogers Webinar
    January 6, 2009
    10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    WebEx online meeting

    This workshop introduces the technical service users and catalogers to searching WorldCat. Students will learn numeric, keyword, and scan title searching strategies, and how to navigate search results. Participants will also learn how to select the most effective search and how to use qualifiers to narrow search results. Examples and exercieses will be based on the OCLC Connexion Client interface.

[...]

  • OCLC FirstSearch Basics Webinar
    January 21, 2009
    10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    WebEx online meeting

    FirstSearch is used by patrons, reference staff, and ILL practitioners to locate bibliographic resources. This half-day course will introduce students to basic, advanced, and expert search techniques. Students will also be introduced to the FirstSearch interface, customization options, direct request, and My Account options. Also covered is how to cross-search in up to three databases at one time, sort and limit the search results, use advanced search features such as index and subject headings lists, and locate appropriate Internet resources.

Resource Sharing (ILL)

  • Introduction to the ILL Policies Directory Webinar
    December 10, 2008
    10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    WebEx online meeting

    This course will review the OCLC ILL Policies Directory and it will also provide participants an opportunity to create your own ILL policies. The ILL Policies Directory provides two main functions to enhance your ILL workflow. First, it enables libraries to enter and display information about their library, lending policies and pricing, and library contacts, collections, and schedules. Second, it provides a way to search potential resource sharing libraries by OCLC institution symbol, institution name, or unit name.

  • OCLC FirstSearch Basics Webinar
    January 21, 2009
    10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    WebEx online meeting

    FirstSearch is used by patrons, reference staff, and ILL practitioners to locate bibliographic resources. This half-day course will introduce students to basic, advanced, and expert search techniques. Students will also be introduced to the FirstSearch interface, customization options, direct request, and My Account options. Also covered is how to cross-search in up to three databases at one time, sort and limit the search results, use advanced search features such as index and subject headings lists, and locate appropriate Internet resources.
  • WorldCat Resource Sharing Admin Module Webinar
    February 5, 2009
    10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    WebEx online meeting

    Resource sharing entails more than placing and responding to requests. Learn the tips and shortcuts that will enhance your experience in processing lending and borrowing requests. Would you like to enable patrons to produce their own requests? Would you like to create customized groups and paths for more efficient borrowing? Would you like to create an easy form for reptetitive information? Attend this course to discover how to use the OCLC WorldCat Resource Sharing Admin Module to streamline your workflow and make your interlibrary loan experience more productive.

  • WorldCat Resource Sharing Basics
    January 29, 2009
    9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    OCLC Eastern

    Whether you're new to OCLC ILL, or your library is looking to shift from Passport or ILL Web to WorldCat Resource Sharing, this one-day, hands-on course is perfect. Participants will learn about customization options, searching and accessing records from OCLC's WorldCat bibliographic database, and producing and completing requests. The instructor will also demonstrate how to create and respond to requests as a lender.

From RSS feeds to member updates, staying informed is easier than ever with OCLC Eastern electronic communications.