It's not just available bandwidth, but also the current NRSC
standards that require limited frequency response.  I remember
signing on WHA many mornings back in the early seventies.  Before
programming started we would run tones to determine if the
transmission equipment needed attention.  If we could not hear at
least 12 KHz coming back, we were to report it to the Chief Engineer
for action.  Response better than that was frequently noted.

Bob Cham