Dan Nelson wrote:
> These  are most likely "acetate" discs

There is no acetate in them.  They are cellulose nitrate, not cellulose
acetate.  So that name is improper.  They are lacquer discs.
> used by home and some commercial recordings that did not need processing.
> The surface is soft and easily damaged... as for cleaning  dont get them wet enough that  moisture can get between the  coating and the inner core.

He specifically stated that these are Recordisc steel based, and the
major problem with these discs is rust.  The steel will rust UNDER the
lacquer.  The adhesion of much of the coating might be to just rust
powder.  Liquid might make it worse, especially if any gets under the
coating.  Don't wet clean steel based discs unless necessary.
> Most "acetate" recordings can be surface cleaned with Windex and wiped  quickly off.

The lacquer on this brand of discs is compromised by materials to make
them UL safety, so it is not as stable as professional discs.  If they
don't need cleaning, don't.

> As for play back stylus  I use  2.5, 2.8, 3.3 mil truncated as most are cut with wide angle cutting stylus, especially if they are recorded at 78rpm.
> Hope this helps
> dnward

The cuts are often not very deep, so these truncated points will
definitely help if that is a problem.  Also check to see if there is any
magnetic attraction of the cartridge to the discs.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]