Hi John,

We use the Edirol R-01 and R-09 models here at Hoover. They do
everything
we need them to do (16/44.1 WAV, multiple input/output options, etc)
and, perhaps,
more importantly, have interfaces that are easy to understand.

As often as not, researchers and curators take these recorders with
them off-site
so when i was shopping around it was imperative that we get something
with
a relatively intuitive series of buttons and displays. For example, i
recommend
recorders with buttons that emulate the Play/Rec/Pause/etc buttons on
cassette
recorders since most people using the thing are already familiar with
the way
hand-held cassette recorders work; something that stands to save you
countless
hours dealing with "tech support" calls and emails from whomever is
using it.

Note: While i actually like the R-01 model a little better, Edirol
discontinued it
which is why our second recorder is an R-09.

cheers,
Brandon Burke

Brandon Burke
Archivist for Recorded Sound Collections
Hoover Institution Archives
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-6010
vox: 650.724.9711