> Still another new option:
> http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=PROTRACK
>
> This is a clever concept. iPods are ubiquitous. Note,
> though, that a hard drive iPod is a bit more fragile than
> a flash-memory recorder, and heavier with this contraption
> around it. Still, though, a library or charity may be able
> to solicit donations of old iPods and end up with a cheap
> solution here.
>
> -- Tom Fine

I have a stereo microphone with a line in jack built into it
that I can plug into the bottom jack on my iPod. It makes
surprisingly good recordings to WAV files of lower-volume
sources, though it completely blew out trying to record a
live band. I bought it at Wal-Mart for about $30.
I haven't used it for any interviews, but I would think it
would work pretty well.
I see some mixers are starting to incorporate iPod slots, so
you can do your recording on it.

-Matt Sohn