Tom Fine wrote:
> Most people take OTR to encompass old radio broadcasts, not playing of
> old records like Dismuke's internet-streaming show.
>
> That said, do some surfing at archive.org because there are also many
> recordings of live band remote broadcasts, which were the common way a
> lot of music was broadcast back in the day. For many years, many radio
> stations would not play records over the air, for a number of reasons.
> This changed dramatically in the years after WWII. This was not a
> hard-fast rule, there were exceptions in both legitimate licensed
> broadcasting as well as pirate and off-shore broadcasting.

You have confused radio stations with radio networks.  It was the
networks which did not allow the playing of recordings, not the
stations.  Almost every radio station played records and recordings in
their local programming.   I don't know where you got the idea that
local stations did not air records and recordings.  (The only notable
local exceptions were WEAF, WJZ, and KPO until Oct 29, 1937 -- NBC was
trying to keep their flagship stations "pure".)  And what do you mean by
"pirate and off-shore broadcasting"???  That didn't come about until the
late 50s and mainly in Europe where there never was a prohibition
against recordings in any country at any time.  Earlier there were legit
European stations in the 1930s like Radio Luxembourg and Radio Paris
broadcasting commercial English language programs recorded in London
back to England, but as I mentioned, no European station  or national
network prohibited recordings.  Only in the U.S. were the networks that
weird.  And there were the Mexican border stations XER, XERA, etc in the
1930s, but as I said, there never were any prohibitions against local
U.S. stations playing recordings so this was nothing unusual in that
respect.

As for those U.S. networks, Mutual never had that prohibition.   It was
only NBC and CBS.  The NBC prohibition ended on Feb. 8, 1949 with memo
#2-49-005 from Ken R. Dyke to NBC execs, and CBS probably also did so at
around the same time.  NBC had allowed some recorded repeats on their
Pacific coast NBC Blue starting on June 22, 1939 to keep from losing a
couple of kids programs.  Jack Benny was included in this allowance for
a year or so till they moved him back to Pacific Red.  NBC made only two
specific nationwide pre-war allowances .  They allowed ONE airing on
each network of an excerpt of the Hindenburg Disaster recording, and an
hourly repeat of the early morning Prime Minister Chamberlain
Declaration of War on Sept 3, 1939.  Both CBS and NBC unknowingly aired
4 short recordings of King George VI's coronation ceremony when taking
the BBC summary program at the end of the day, and NBC was furious when
they discovered that Lowell Thomas had fed them via recordings an
interview with the French Premier a few days after the coronation, and
Queen Wilhelmina and Lord Baden Powell on July 31, 1937 instead of doing
the interviews live.  But that is the network, not local stations.  By
1943 NBC had said they would air war related recordings of importance,
and did so for FDR's speech about North Africa, but they were very
selective.  They did air a few recordings on D-Day including George
Hicks report from aboard a ship.  All the networks started airing
one-hour delayed programming for the non-Daylight Saving Time stations
after the war, and this led to ABC (which had been NBC Blue before 1942)
allowing Bing Crosby to pre-record and edit Philco Radio Time in 1946.

> So, a show like Dismuke's probably wouldn't exist under the lexicon of
> OTR.

But not for the reasons you gave.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]