Jennifer,

I suggest existing guidelines such as RLG's Best Practices Guide and
the CDL documentation, that both recommend the following:

Undated material:
* <unitdate normal="1920/1957">undated</unitdate>
[normalize as an interval (as with approximate dates), perhaps using
the collection
dates, or life of creator, etc.]

* <unitdate normal="1935/1965">undated: ca. mid 20th
century</unitdate>
[if a document is undated this can be stated but provide an estimate
if possible;
normalize as an interval, perhaps using the collection dates, or life
of creator, etc.]

* <unitdate>undated</unitdate>
[if it is really not possible to estimate then use "undated" alone with no
normalization]

Mark A. Matienzo
Applications Developer, Digital Experience Group
The New York Public Library