I'm afraid that this is just one of the restraints of EAD.  There are
many instances where order matters.  For instance, c02 is a child of
c01, but it can't be placed as a direct child of c01, it must come after
the <did> and then any of the specific sub-elements if they are used.
One nice thing about XMetaL, is that you can create "Mini Templates" so
that when you double click on <daogrp> it will always populate the child
elements in the order that you specify in the Mini Template that you
created.  This removes much of the guess work.  This is also useful as
EAD allows many many encoding practices that may not be desirable.  For
instance, the ability to embed many subelements into infinitum. This is
one of the reasons that many repositories don't edit directly in XML but
use some other "front end" and then convert that to EAD XML.  There are
pluses and minuses on both sides.

Mark