The code you erased is important if you are trying to use the EAD schema. From looking at your XML, it seems your new finding aid has code to validate via both the EAD DTD and the EAD schema. You only need one or the other, not both. The code that you deleted is for hooking into the schema. You still had the doctype declaration for the DTD above the schema info in your code:
<!DOCTYPE ead PUBLIC "+//ISBN 1-931666-00-8//DTD ead.dtd (Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 2002)//EN" "./dtds/ead.dtd">
It seems like your transformations are working fine if you use the DTD, but not if you use the schema. If you are trying to switch over to the schema, your stylesheets will need to declare namespaces. Maybe that's your problem?

Joyce Chapman
(Southern Historical Collection at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)