> From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Custer, Mark
> This leads me to a question:  what sort of back-end systems are
archives using for their EAD records?

By "back-end" I assume you mean storage/management?   We have a database
that stores and manages collection-level information, such as locations,
patron registration, collection usage, etc, but the EAD files are simply
stored in a directory on the file system.

> is anyone using dates beyond the collection range (those dates
associated with a series, folder, even an item) in the information
retrieval process?.

Regarding the question of searching, we do offer advanced search options
by date (unitdate element), as well as by subject area (the various
controlaccess elements), type of material (genreform element), and a few
others.  It's done using swish-e as the indexing and searching piece in
conjunction with php scripts.  You can see it here
http://library.syr.edu/information/spcollections/findingaids/index.html
, scroll down to "Advanced search."

> has anyone attempted to test their corpus of EAD records with their
current search operations vs. indexing and searching those records by
means of different models of IR, such as Nutch
<http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/> , INDRI
<http://www.lemurproject.org/indri/> , Solr
<http://lucene.apache.org/solr/> , or even just Google Custom Search???

No, we haven't, but that would be an interesting project!

Michele

(be green - don't print this email!)

Michele Combs
Manuscripts Librarian