Hi Mark and Brian,

Cheers,
Jane.

========

Hello, Jane

Order in XML is central feature, though specific ordering may be specified as irrelevant. Think of sibling paragraphs in a text. If the order changes, the sense of the text is lost.

For the element daogrp, the DTD specifies zero or one daodesc elements followed by one or more (in any order) of daoloc, ptrloc ...
etc.
So if you had a daogrp with no daodesc but only, say, refloc and arc, then the order would not matter. But since you do have a daodesc, it is constrained to preceeding the other elements. Now, why the DTD specifies that, I don't know.

I hope that clarifies somewhat.

Best,
Brian