From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Betts, Jennifer
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Normalized dates

Dear colleagues,

I am conducting an informal poll as to how organizations are using normalized dates.

Brown University and members of the Rhode Island Archival and Manuscript Collections Online consortium (RIAMCO) have switched from dtd to schema so our prior normalized format for undated materials is no longer valid:

<unitdate encodinganalog="245$f" type="inclusive" normal="">undated</unitdate>

Using the schema, the following two examples will validate:

1. <unitdate encodinganalog="245$f" type="inclusive">undated</unitdate>

2. <unitdate encodinganalog="245$f" type="inclusive" normal="0000">undated</unitdate>

-          How are other organizations formatting the normalized for undated materials?  Right now we are leaning towards option 1 for undated materials.

-          Regarding normalized dates in general, what do organizations use as their rationale for using or not using normalized dates?  Our current plan is to keep using the normalized format for all dated materials but we are most curious as to what might be the argument against using normalized dates.

Thanks in advance!

 - Jennifer

Jennifer J. Betts

RIAMCO Project Manager