*Jennifer P said:  "The trouble is, that rarely happens in library
catalog land; a working OPAC simply can't be built in a timely fashion by a
single person. ..."*

There was a recent posting on AUTOCAT about the need for not just the theory
but also the practical side for new graduates coming out of schools today,
this was also true in the past.
No matter what we may all teach in a course, it is very important to let
graduate students understand also what they will be working with on their
first professional job and in what type of a working environment aka
academic or other organizational structure.

 Catalogers will not very likely be immediately responsible for "building"
an OPAC system on their own obviously, nor should they.  It just does not
happen that way in libraries either.  I agree, understanding "code" or MARC,
metadata which ever one wishes to call it, catalogers all work with varying
types of "codes" these days and are on task forces with others too usually,
and will be expected to work across these areas day to day for both short
term and long term strategies.  I have found very often many students coming
from information organization courses and "blurring" much of the "online"
idea in terms of what and how collections are "managed" in libraries.  These
include the electronic resources, digital collections/ETDs, the print
collections, etc etc it's important for me to try to clarify this as much as
possible for students getting ready to graduate and interview for positions
in the next month, six months or next year,  in academic libraries
especially the structure of work in technical services units is not all
"lumped together" in organization and also in their work.  We have a wealth
of materials available online to use in our courses in illustrating examples
of work being done, and also links and guests from cataloging depts and
online resources available from OCLC and other vendors / open source tools
etc being developed.

For some, it can be extremely overwhelming if there is "too much" structure
or "code", what is important is for new graduates to be willing to learn,
ask/collaborate with others, and know where to find what they need, and
continue to move in the right directions, no matter what "code" one wishes
to use.  :-)   I'm going to be also including RDA discussions this Winter in
my cataloging courses, and have been posting webcasts and links from RDA
news last year, students are interested in what changes are in store for
them.

Best, Karen

Karen Weaver, MLS
Adjunct Instructor, Cataloging & Classification
The iSchool at Drexel University
College of Information Science & Technology
Philadelphia PA
email: [log in to unmask]

Electronic Resources Statistician
Duquesne University, Gumberg Library