On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Allyson Carlyle
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Oh dear - I hope that no one is presented with cataloging standards and
> told to memorize them.  I think it is less important to know the standards
> than to know why they exist.  Which means that it matters less whether you
> are teaching AACR2 or RDA, but how you are teaching them.
>
> For my part, I'm not budging from teaching AACR2, with reference to RDA
> throughout, until I see it adopted (if it is adopted??).  But don't pay any
> attention to me, I'm a terrible skeptic.

I think that skepticism is good-- certainly people should pay attention to
it!  But what you're saying is close to the point that I'm trying to make:
teaching how standards change and are revised-- by comparing an older,
tried-and-true one with a newer, not-even-implemented one, students will get
an idea of how librarians work with code, and what that means to
bibliographic control.  They can come to understand how standards are
applied-- when they should be maintained, and when it is best to  alter
them.

Cataloging isn't usually thought of a creative enterprise, but in a sense,
it is-- the cataloger uses the tools available to him or her to make an item
as findable as possible.  Every cataloger I've spoken to has warned me that
this takes a great degree of consideration and skill, and an understanding
of how metadata works on an abstract as well as specific level.  Comparing
how standards work or how they have changed (or may change!) is beneficial
on that level.

-Jennifer Parsons